Friday, January 23, 2009

Don't be a seller-zilla

Ok, here is the home staging nightmare of the week!

Beautiful, ornate home! Lots of faux paint everywhere, very peach walls! Yikes, it needs a neutral touch added to every room! The seller had made it VERY clear to me that I need to decorate in her style - perhaps this is why this beautiful home has been on the market so long.

As a seller make sure that you step back enough to allow you home to be staged for the market, not just so that you like it! For Pete's sake you are selling, what do you care if you like it, as long as lots of buyers do?

Don't be a seller-zilla and bite the hand that is going to help you get top dollar! Let your home stager - depersonalize and neutralize!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear your pain...I hear your pain. A lovely woman called recently and asked if I would come over and give her a consultation on what she could do to improve her chances of selling her house in the coming spring market. Little did I know until I entered and went through her entire home, asking questions about timelines, budget, this and that, did I realize that this woman had no intentions of hiring a stager -- she planned on doing the whole staging project herself. Now, what's that you boast, staging is a piece of cake? Nay, nay I say -- especially when you think you wrote the best book ever on colour theory and focal points. Alas, after two and a half hours of faux finishes in every room in the house, including the wood trim, and not one main style theme, but at least five, I confess, although I actually thought this woman deserved to be her own staging client, I felt sorry for her.

Please, put your Van Gough on hold. When you call for a stager, do what stagers do, depersonalize yourself from the whole of it, and leave it to them to work their magic! You'll be much happier in the end. Honestly.